The obscure word of the week is swash

look_it_up_T httpwww.clipartpal.comclipart_pdeducationdictionary_10586.htmlThis week’s obscure English word is swash.

It’s really good multi-purpose word. As a noun, swash means the splashing sound of moving water such as an incoming wave; or to walk in a pretentious manner, usually carrying a sword – hence the phrase ‘swash-buckling’.

It is also an engineering term: a ‘swash plate’ is the thingy on the rotor head of a helicopter that connects the controls to the rotor (don’t you love my precision there – ‘thingy’). Swash plates are also used in engines to translate piston motion into rotary movement. And they have application in pumps.

As an adjective, swash is a printing term of 17th century origin referring to an ornamented character such as a capital at the start of a paragraph.

Your challenge? Write a sentence (or two) in the comments using this word.

Copyright © Matthew Wright 2018


One thought on “The obscure word of the week is swash

Join the discussion!

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.