Every so often I see something on Facebook asking you to name which super-powers you’d most like to have.That’s actually pretty cool, because – you know, super-powers.
We all know what these are – invulnerability, invincible strength, teleportation, telekinesis, flying, being magnetic, telepathy, X-ray vision, squirting spider-web from your wrist and doing Tarzan swings with it, that sort of thing. There’s a lot more, of course. And yet, somehow, I can’t help thinking that they all miss something. So, being a tad geeky, I thought I’d list off the five I’d like:
1. Ability to control electromagnetic, weak and strong nuclear forces, in any quantity and at any location, at will.
2. Ability to warp space-time to any extent, in any location and for any duration, at will.
3. Ability to create quantum vacuum-fluctuations to any scale and duration, in any location, at will.
4. Ability to control quantum wave-function collapse to any scale, for any duration, in any location, at will.
5. Ability to utilise all of the above, likely via second-order and emergent property effects, to achieve whatever I am thinking of.
I did think of writing stories involving a character that could do all this, which means that the plot drama would totally have to come from the characterisation, as long as they didn’t get trapped in a bottle. I can explain in the comments.
Meanwhile – what are your top five desirable super-powers?
Copyright © Matthew Wright 2019